Sunday, December 14, 2008

Feeling Really Grateful for Modern Life!

This was an absolutely busy and crazy few days. I already posted briefly that we finally have power back on. Thursday night the weather started getting unpredictable. I was already a bit anxious about my oral review that I had. I also cancelled my cub scout meeting as I really didn't want any of my cubs and their families getting out in the bad weather. I had no idea what we were in for. I was happy to make it through my oral exam (which is over the phone, and grueling).The next morning we woke up and had no power. I assumed that the kids had no school because there was no answer at any of the district numbers. Brian had to go to work, and when he got there (to assure me that he was safe) he indeed called to let me know that there wasn't school and that he had made it safely to work. The kids were excited to be home for a long weekend. Little did they know what they were in for. When I got up and got outside to see what I needed to do in the driveway. Here was this HUGE branch lying across our driveway AND the neighbors as well. If Brian didn't go to work, his car would have been the crash pad for this very heavy 'branch' that fell at least 100 ft.
Despite no power the trees were actually beautiful. The branches looked like glass and crashed to the ground like it too.
With no power we moved blankets and mattress down near the fireplace. So grateful for a great neighbor that has an excess of wood and it kept up at least warmer than it was outside. After a cold night up stoking the fire Brian took a nap and Dasher was happy to cuddle up and make sure that his neck didn't get cold. That kitty is such a goof ball! We were fortunate that after a few days the power came back on just in time for us to celebrate our darling Nikolas' birthday. Happy Birthday Sweetie. My baby turned 7 today! My mother in law baked the cake and drove up with my brother in law (and a generator, arriving two hours before the power came back on). The next day my two sister' in law came over with our nieces. We got to celebrate Nikolas' birthday with lights and heat!!!!
During the outage, at least during the day I finished up two gifts for some special people in my kiddos lives...
Here's a close-up of the first one.
Then I started this second scarf. I am only about a quarter of the way done, once it got dark I couldn't see well enough to work on it. I will keep plugging away until I get it done, I hope in time!!!
Here's a close-up of this one. It's hard to tell but it's a ruffly type pattern. I really love it and want to make myself one with self-striping yarn. I think it will be really great!!! Ariana also asked me to teach her to knit, so I was excited to take the time to start to teach her a little too. I sure hope that she will continue to practice at it.
I hope that everyone is warm, dry and safe. I am so appreciate for heat and light, it is so easy to take advantage of things we have everyday!

3 comments:

Denise Punger MD IBCLC said...

Warm? Yes we are.

The tree across the driveway is interesting, but the first thing I noticed was the "patch of flowers" that we took photos in front of is obviously not there.

Happy Birthday Nikolas!

Tammie said...

Oh no power with the snow that sounds cold! I'm glad it wasn't for too long! It's funny how we take forgranted the many simple luxuries that we enjoy. Maybe they are not a simple as they seem. I am also grateful for our many mondern conveniences!

By the way those scarfs are awesome!

Anonymous said...

Oh, that branch is scary....God is funny, even though he had to go to work (thank you Navy), his car would have been crushed :oO
We have snow too but nothing like a New England winter, I'm sure!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY Nicolas, Owen still talks about you!!!!!!