Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Ramblings after Yoga Class

I had a great morning. Going to the gym has been tough with the kids out of school. However, I love my Tuesdays I get to go to Zumba and then Yoga. My yoga instructor said something at the beginning of class that really hit home and I wanted to share about it. She has been talking the past few classes about what we can bring to our yoga practice, instead of what do we get out of it. She says, "sometimes it's just our full focus for that hour, maybe something else". Then today, she tied it in with learning to put aside the 'chatter on the surface of our brains', at least for our practice. Not to forget these things that are on our minds, but to learn to set aside our thoughts and focus on now, what are we doing and what do we need to be doing in that moment. It's a great lesson as I find myself to be always thinking about what's next, instead of living for here and now. How is what I am doing right now benefiting me, or what can I appreciate about this very moment? Reminds me of people eating their junk food so fast they don't realize that it really doesn't taste good! (I just had to throw in the plug about nutrition!) When I finished final relaxation in yoga, I did feel a bit different. I wasn't feeling as harried as I was before. It wasn't until now that I started thinking about, writing a paper for school, what's for dinner and so on. As you see, I have plenty of things to be doing. For that hour, I was able to stop my brain chatter and enjoy my class. I feel better, more relaxed, and ready to face the rest of my day. So for today I am challenging myself, that whatever I am doing, to be there with it.

1 comment:

The Cooking Lady said...

It is so difficult for me to be in the moment. I am always thinking ahead of what to do next. But on the rare occaison that I do keep still....I love it.